Premiere matchmaking service in Portland, Portland Singles, reveals 10 insightful tips to handle and heal from a devastating divorce.
They say that one out of two marriages will fail, and this means many people will be alone, lost, and overwhelmed trying to get their life back in order. Sometimes, well-meaning friends will tell you that the best way to get over your divorce is to get back in the dating scene again and start dating new people. At first glance, this might sound like the best answer but here at Portland Singles Dating Service, we now it isn’t.
The weeks and months following your divorce require healing and time to reflect. During this time, you will get to know yourself again. Many times, there are children in the picture who have suffered the loss of a parent and the unity of their family, and helping them cope with the situation will be your number one priority. There are many things you can do to help yourself handle the pain you might feel from your divorce, but you need to grieve first before you ever decide to start dating again.
Today, our dating and relationship experts here at Portland Singles Dating Service will share with you some helpful tips that will help you grieve and move on from your divorce.
1. Make plans to see your family and best friends more often. These are the people who went to see you at your wedding and they will feel the loss you’re feeling as well. These are also the people who want to see you do best in life and believe in you. Right now, their support is what you need to help you become a stronger person.
2. Weekends will be difficult. In the beginning, you need to plan to do things every weekend to keep yourself occupied. If you spend your weekends alone, you’ll be more likely to feel down and out and this will only hold you back from completely healing from your divorce.
3. If possible, try to get away for a small trip, even if it’s just for a few days. Sometimes, just getting away helps us realize that our relationship was just a small part of our lives and that things in our lives will keep on moving, regardless of whether you have a partner or not. When you travel to a different place, new experiences will distract you from your old environment and bring a new sense of hope into your life.
4. When a marriage ends, it is common for many people to start consuming alcohol, eat too much (or not enough), or engage in unhealthy activities that will make them feel more anger or sadness. Our dating and relationship experts here at Portland Singles want you to focus on your health. Make that doctor’s appointment you were neglecting and start working out regularly.
5. Start journaling so you can get in touch with your inner-self. It is surprising how many people carry baggage from their old relationships to their new ones. This often occurs because the blame was placed on the ex-partner instead of looking at the whole picture. If you are able to write everything down, you will see where your limited thinking might have contributed to the end of your relationship. This will help you become a stronger and more confident person.
6. Write a letter to your ex-spouse, one where you totally pour your heart out. Don’t worry, the key to this letter is not send it them, it’s for your eyes only.
7. Get a complete makeover. When a marriage fails, it’s easy to become your own worst critic and start criticizing everything about yourself; your face, your hair, your body, clothing, everything bothers you. Nothing can make a woman feel better than getting her hair and makeup done, so go ahead and book that spa appointment. We know men appreciate the flattery of looking their best too, so pampering does a lot of good for both genders.
8. Take a new class as it will help improve your life in many different aspects. If classes are not your thing, then maybe joining a support group will be best for you. This will give you something new to focus on and it also allows you to continue improving yourself. You can take dance lessons, cooking classes, or even take a self-improvement course.
9. Explore something new, something you love. In every marriage, there are bound to be things people want to do but don’t have time to. If that was the case for you, then now is the perfect time to do them.
10. Our dating and relationship experts here at Portland Singles Dating Service encourage you to try meditation as it will help you in different aspects of your life, but especially when healing from a divorce. Taking time to meditate will help you release any stress you have. It doesn’t matter if you do it at church or at home, it will help you out. The importance of blocking out quiet time to sit still and focus on calming your breath will cure your body and your mind in no time.
Divorce usually doesn’t just happen; they take a long time to form until they eventually tear the family apart. And it’s during that time it’s forming that it’s leaving insecurities, sadness, and anger, broken hearts and hatred behind. Working to try to figure out what happened, and your part in it, will help you move forward into a brighter future. Your future relationships and the emotional well-being of your children depend on your ability to move past your devastating divorce. Only once you’re able to complete everything our dating and relationship experts here at Portland Singles have mentioned, you will be able to finally start dating again.
Once you’re completely healed an ready to welcome into your life again, contact our matchmaking professionals here at Portland Singles Dating Service and let us give you the guidance and encouragement you need to achieve success in your romantic life.
http://singleinportland.com & (503) 928-5930